All states and Union territories in the country have been given appropriate guidelines by the Election commission of India (ECI) for the Lok Sabha elections after considering all relevant factors and the legal and factual positions.
If the electors fail to produce their EPIC cards they will have to produce alternative photo identity documents to establish their identity.The alternative documents approved by the ECI are
- Driving Licence
- Income tax identity card ( PAN card)
- Service Identity cards with photographs
- Passbooks issued by PSU banks/post office with photograph
- Property documents
- SC/ST/OBC certificates issued by competent authority with photograph
- Pension documents
- Freedom fighter identity card with photograph
- Arms licences
- Certificate of physical handicap with photograph
- Job cards issued under NREGA with photograph
- Health insurance scheme smart cards with photograph
All the above mentioned documents if available to the head of the family may be used for identifying the other members of the family provided all members come together and are identified by the head of the family.
The Election commission has also decided to clamp down on the misuse of SMS messages through mobile phones during the election process. In this regard the commission has issued directions to the police authorities to initiate proper enquiry and trace back the original sender of such SMS and take appropriate action under the relevant provisions of the Indian penal code.