The EMRI services started in Goa on September 8th 2008 and have continued their credible service throughout the state till date. It may be pertinent to see what exactly the service means for Goans and how Goans can take the benefit of this service.
Also tourists coming to Goa can keep themselves updated on the EMRI service and should there be any serious emergency, you should not think twice to call 108, EMRI's emergency number.
What is 1-0-8
- 108 is a three digit toll free number to call to get help in a medical, police or fire emergency
- 108 is a 24 x 7 free service for any serious emergencies
- 108 is accessible from a landline, mobile or fixed line without a prefix or a suffix
What does 1-0-8 do
- A 108 call will connect you to a trained professional who will answer your call, ask you to describe your emergency situation and route the necessary emergency personnel to your location to assist you
When Should you call 1-0-8
- You should call 108 when there is a serious emergency
- When there is a real need for one of the following
- Someone is seriously injured, ill or unconscious, you need an EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE and an AMBULANCE
- There is a crime happening and you need the POLICE
- There is a fire and you need FIREFIGHTERS
- Any other times when an emergency response is required for medical, law enforcement and fire.
What happens when you call 1-0-8?
A. Basic information gathering
- When you call 108, you are connected to a trained call-taker, who gathers the necessary information by asking you a few basic questions like:
- Where are you calling from ( the location and the landmark)
- The type of emergency
- Number of people injured and the condition of the injured
- Caller's name and contact number for location guidance if required
B. Dispatch of the emergency help
- The necessary help either in the form of emergency service - ambulance, police or firefighters would be dispatched
- The dispatcher may ask you additional questions such as specific questions relating to the medical problem a patient is having. These questions are asked in order to provide the ambulance crew a clear concise picture as to what is occurring at the scene. This DOES NOT delay the ambulance as the alert is already sent and the ambulance would be on the way while you are on the phone.
C. Help would reach you in an average time of 20 minutes
What happens when the ambulance arrives at the victim's site?
On reaching the site, necessary pre-hospital care is rendered to stabilize the victim while being transported to the nearest hospital of the victims' choice.
When not to call 1-0-8
Do not call 1-0-8
- If there is no "serious" emergency
- It is not a number for enquiry or information gathering
- Do not play around by dialing 108 as a joke, otherwise a call in real emergency could be in queue and a life could be lost
- If you happen to call 108 by accident, then do not hang up until the officer asks you to do so
Types of emergencies attended to by 1-0-8
a) Medical Emergencies:
- Respiratory problems
- Animal bite
b) Police emergencies
- RObbery in progress
- Bodily offences
c) Fire emergencies
- Fire breakouts
- Industrial fire hazards